Submitted by Paolo on August 14, 2012 - 4:56pm
Some time ago the museum had to move a substantial portion of the collections out of one storage area that was sold by the University. One of the last pieces moved was a 39.1ft. (11.9 m.) totem pole from British Columbia. The totem was originally erected around 1870 for a Haida man named Haostis and his wife K'awa; it was brought to the museum in 1911. During the moving process the totem was temporarily unwrapped and almost fully visible for the first time in 36 years; since it was removed from the museum's patio in 1974.