Recent Blog Posts

Paolo's picture

Frog

Some time ago the museum had to move a substantial portion of the collections out of one storage area that was sold by the University. One of the last pieces moved was a 39.1ft. (11.9 m.) totem pole from British Columbia. The totem was originally erected around 1870 for a Haida man named Haostis and his wife K'awa; it was brought to the museum in 1911. During the moving process the totem was temporarily unwrapped and almost fully visible for the first time in 36 years; since it was removed from the museum's patio in 1974.
Blog Category: 
Paolo's picture

Points

One of the largest accession of Old World archaeology at the PAHMA includes the assemblages collected during the University of California African Expeditions in 1947 and 1948. The availability of these collections for teaching and scholarly research raised an interest that, within few years, contributed to turn the Berkeley campus as one of the world's most active center for African prehistory.

Blog Category: 

Behind the Scenes of a Deinstallation

The transformation currently underway at the Hearst is proving to be exciting and challenging for the Museum staff. The most recent step involved in the process has been the deinstallation of the Museum. Yes, you read that correctly, the deinstallation of the entire Museum!
Blog Category: 
Allison's picture

Block party! Archaeological conservation in action

I’m Allison, a conservator, currently spending a few weeks away from PAHMA to supervise the conservation laboratory at the Mugello Valley Archaeological Project’s (MVAP) Poggio Colla field school. Poggio Colla is an Etruscan site near Florence where students can learn the fundamentals of excavation and contribute to a long-term research project investigating the ancient Etruscans. The conservation staff here works to ensure that the excavated finds are preserved for future study and appreciation.

Blog Category: 

Celebrating the Museum's closure

On June 29th 2012 the Museum hosted a party to celebrate the hard work of all of those who had contributed to the Museum staff realizing a long-held desire to improve collections facilities and renovate our existing galleries. While these improvements required the closure of the Museum for two years (from July 1st 2012) upon reopening we will be able to offer our visitors a wonderful and flexible gallery space and significantly improved collections facilities.

Blog Category: 

Pages